Saturday, March 8, 2008

Screaming Irony.

At 11 years old, a movie like The Matrix is a little difficult to appreciate. I saw this movie in theaters opening day and was in awe of the precision in characters movements. Needless to say, a lot of other concepts were lost on me, I was never the sharpest needle in the haystack. I did manage to establish the movie was phenomenal in the innovative slow-motion effect of the bullet traveling but I had no idea what it took to produce those pivotal trademark effects.

Now, having read the outline of the movie on Wikipedia and seeing the movie for the second time, it felt like seeing each sequence with new eyes. Machines using us like we use them spurred my amusement. It's a really original paradoxical idea that I haven't seen in many other movies. I mean, you really think about it, with the advancements in new technology thinking for us, what else is there left for us to do but be it's slaves? This is why I'm not much of a technology consumer, except maybe your occasional video game.

The themes that plague interest to me throughout the movie were essentially the questions that Neo faced. I felt connected to the character in the sense that he was skeptical of his ability to be "The One." Having Morpheus believe in him with such conviction frightened him out of attaching himself the to idea. I myself, tend to stray from what is expected, for fear of disappointment, not only to myself but of other people.

Overall, I departed with my renewed vision of The Matrix in tact, we should try not to let the ease of technology bury our physical abilities. To sustain ourselves in a manner that befits what we can achieve on our own. Otherwise, we might just find that what we control becomes the one thing that takes away our freedom.

10 comments:

Brandon said...

Interesting perspective you offered on the film, Hema. I too know what it feels like to have expectations placed on you; it is quite burdensome. Eventually, you come to realize that the only person you, truly, need answer to in life is yourself.

Usman said...

I do agree that we should utilize our physical abilities and mental as well.

noel said...

I see what you mean when you wrote that sometimes we feel skeptical about our abilities when people expect so much from us. On the other hand when people don't expect much and doubt my abilities i feel the need to prove them wrong. Especially when half the customers at my job think i don't speak english.

Brandon said...

That's because many of them are ignorant, Noel.

helen. said...

it make you feel as if you have to question your own authorites and yourself as well to if you exist or not...
BTW does your peircing on your lip hurt?..

Ana said...

We're improving technolgy, but we're forgetting ourselves. It's not that hard to imagine a future where we are enslaved by machines. If you think about it, it has already started; we've become VERY dependent on technology. Of course there's nothing wrong with playing your video game now and then.

ps: your pet bunny is so cute! what's his/her name?

Ana said...

Havok...got it. Had a "Homer" moment.

helen. said...

hmm the 2 million the is given to you that same day aliens attack would be so ...!! lol wow i would shoot those people that give it to me for not giving it to me much much earlier so at least when i die and they take our bodies to their ship i would have the bling! LOL

irmetie said...

Hey Hema, The Matrix seemed so many times confusing to me and I certainly have to watch it several times, in order to understand it. I like how your blog looks like.

C. Jason Smith said...

Yeah--us media folks have to watch movies over and over and over . . . That is what I spend most of my time doing. ;P